Today, Abraham thought he'd try to prove me wrong on all the comments I've made about him being easy-going and content most of the time. And, he thought he'd choose my time at my ladies' Bible study to test this out. He spent almost the entire hour fussing and crying; even throwing in a few high-pitched screams here and there. He'd had a bottle and a diaper change, so all I could figure was he was tired but over-stimulated from seeing all the people and commotion at Bible study and he just couldn't get himself calmed down. We strolled the halls at church, rocked, talked, and sang until he eventually settled down and went to sleep. I had offers of help from friends to hold him while I was in class, but because we need to bond, I have to be the only one (unless Scott is around) to comfort and soothe him.
Tonight, while I was rocking him to sleep (without any fussing or crying), I thought about how privileged and blessed I am to get to be his mommy. How for months, he didn't have a mommy to sing to him or lull him to sleep with songs, hugs and kisses. Right now, it can be difficult to be only one of two people who should comfort him in his times of distress, but as I rocked him to sleep tonight my heart just swelled with love for him. Adoption is an amazing thing.

Sleeping in Mommy's arms for the first time.
Sweet, sweet post. I know that our journeys will differ a bit, but I am so thankful that you write about what is going on in your family post-adoption. It is good for me!
ReplyDelete