All summer, the kids have been after me to let them have a lemonade stand. I put them off with as many excuses as I could…”we don’t have time right now”, “it’s too hot”, “there’s nobody out.” FINALLY, I let them have their lemonade stand. They were so cute. They made their sign together and worked out who handled the money and who served the drinks. They lasted about 45 minutes in the 94 degree heat, but they had three customers during that time (one even gave them a tip).
So, why was I so opposed to them having a lemonade stand to begin with? I don’t know. Something about them sitting along the side of the road (even if it was right in front of our house) just made me uneasy. Ok, I admit it. I’m probably overprotective of them. I won’t let them go but a few houses away from ours. It’s just been within the past couple of months that I started letting them go across the street to play outside at the neighbors house without me there to supervise. And what’s strange about my fears is that I can remember being four years old and running up and down the neighborhood and my parents had no idea where I was until I decided to come home for meal time. When I was old enough to roller skate, I’d take off up and down the sidewalk. When I could ride a bike, I knew every street in my neighborhood by heart. And nothing bad ever happened to me, so I’m not sure why I keep such tight reigns on my own kids. I guess I just like to know where my kids are and that’s not such a bad thing, is it?


It's not a bad thing at all! Life is a lot differnt nwo than it was when we were growing up, and always better safe than sorry, I say! As for the lemonade stand- what is it with kids wanting to have them? Rachel has been begging all summer to have one too. I let her have one at the very beginning of the summer, and in April when we had a yardsale I allowed her to sell lemonade. Other than that, I just don't want the neighbors to get sick of seeing my kid out trying to get a quarter from them everytime they turn around. Last week she decided she should open a hair salon and charge neighbors 25 cents for a hair makeover. I think lemonade would go over better.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it is a bad thing knowing where your kids are. I'm a worrier and keeping my children close makes me feel better. The fear of someone taking my children while playing has been firmly planted with abduction cases seen on t.v. and Amber Alerts. I know most are parents taking children without permission, custody agreements, etc. but it is still there in the back of my mind when I can't see Jimmy.
ReplyDelete