Dreher Hiking Daze

The crazy, hazy, rarely lazy, daze of the Dreher family.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

“You can’t just eat the grubs…

…you have to eat the crickets, too.”

Words I thought I’d never hear myself say to my eight year-old girl.  001

A year ago, Caitlyn bought a book called “Oh Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty”.  It is a very well-read book.  One of the “nasties” in it is about people who eat bugs.  For what ever reason, Caitlyn had been pestering me lately to buy her some chocolate covered insects so she could try them.  Her rationale?  “Well, eating meat is gross to some people in other 002countries, but eating bugs isn’t gross to them”.   I couldn’t argue with her thinking.  So, Daddy ordered her a heapin’, helpin’ of chocolate covered grubs and crickets.  They arrived in the mail today, much to Caitlyn’s delight (and to my disgust).  She tore into them003 right away.  I even let her try one before dinner; at the risk of ruining her appetite!  The chocolate was a bit melted on them, but we’re keeping them in the fridge so they stay nice and fresh.  Eating bugs is all about variety…white chocolate or milk chocolate covered bugs.  Caitlyn chose a milk chocolate covered cricket for her first foray into bug eating.004 I made her pause a moment so I could get a picture…in case she spewed the contents all over the floor. She popped the little cricket into her mouth and remained all smiles throughout.  Phew!  Her thoughts?  “They taste like chicken with chocolate, only they have a slightly bad after-taste.  I think I have an eyeball stuck in my teeth.”005

And there you have it folks!  My daughter is now an eater of insects.  She has since eaten a handful of chocolate covered grubs and crickets.  Perhaps I won’t have to hire someone for pesticide anymore.  The bugs in my yard should be running scared!007

4 comments:

  1. I can only say I'm glad it is Caitlyn eating those chocolate covered bugs instead of me! I prefer my chocolate without the crunch, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What has happened to my precious little granddaughter!! She said she was going to do it...I told her no need to save me any...:o)
    Do they make a toothpaste with bleach?

    ReplyDelete